to become Effective Manager
to receive FREE Monthly Newsletter, please write to
• Delegating is the
assignment of tasks and responsibilities to employees.
It helps them to contribute to the overall effectiveness of your department
• You become a coach or a teacher, when you delegate.
You direct an employee how to perform a new task effectively, show how it is
and then ask that he or she demonstrate the task that has been done.
• Delegating means taking time and patience plus follow up to ensure that it is
You become a Effective Manager through contribution of other team members
You can’t do all the work by yourself.
Therefore you must delegate and tap the
creativity of each individual.
Building good relations with employees will help to motivate them to do
the work that needs to be done.
Employees begin to like and respect you. More importantly they feel you are
enhancing their skills/abilities.
• To allocate more time to concentrate to Important tasks
• To make use of different team member’s specialist skills
• To develop and motivate your staff
• To ensure an even spread of work across the team for teambuilding
Here are some Tips:
• Knowledge is power and hence if you share it, you tend to earn respect. So
teach and encourage those who work for you to learn more than their job.
• Set a good example by demonstrating, by doing the work yourself but do not aim
to do everything yourself. Your management skills are more important than just
getting bogged down in routine tasks.
• Create a relaxed (not pressurized) but efficient working climate.
• Develop a habit to circulate right information (communicate widely).
• Appreciate or give credit where and when it is due.
• Become Approachable by keeping an open door policy to listen and help.
Why People Don’t Delegate?
• ‘I am the BEST attitude’ - Believing you are quicker and better yourself
• Feeling Insecure and unwilling to let go of certain jobs
• Lack of faith in subordinates’ abilities
• Lot of Fear
that subordinates will perform better than manager
• Manager likes to
of being overworked
doing particular jobs –so show that you are “getting your hands dirty”
• Lack of training in Management
to Delegate to Difficult or aggressive subordinates
• No time to delegate and evaluate – as you are bogged down yourself
EFFECTIVE DELEGATION Workshop
(if interested please send us an email )
What Not To Delegate?
• Task of disciplining someone else
• Accountability for the task- Remember that you are overall responsible
• New tasks without giving guidance or training
• Unpleasant tasks which are you don’t enjoy or incapable of doing
What To Delegate?
• Routine jobs, together with responsibility and power to make decisions
• Complete jobs if possible to give a sense of Achievement
• Jobs that others can do better and probably more quickly too
How to Delegate :
10 Steps to Take
your work and identify task you feel will provide you with additional time as
well as benefiting the employee to whom you assign the responsibility.
Step 2 Select the most logical individual for the task
identified and delegate it. Don’t be biased or prejudiced.
Step 3 Instruct the individual selected how to
perform the task, even by demonstrating.
Step 4 Most important thing is to task delegated should
be done in writing.
Seek feedback to ensure that the employee is
prepared to assume new responsibility.
Step 6 Allow the employee the free do to practice the new
assignment for a few days.
Step 7 Evaluate in a positive way. Don’t get angry.
Become supportive. Give recognition for good job and correct and coach when
Step 8 Consider the rotation of tasks so that other
employee also gets skilled in these jobs in case of holidays/sickness.
Delegate those crucial assignments that prepare
employees to take over in absence of others- including yourself.
Step 10 Use their special talents and abilities by discussing new
assignments and giving everyone an opportunity to share and contribute their
ideas. Review rotation plans to generate enthusiasm.
Action For Effective Delegation
• Create a plan for Delegating tasks
• Give a clear brief in WRITING and gain Commitment/ Agreement
• Agree review dates and do commit to them
• Establish Evaluation system and how to rectify errors
• Don’t hover or keep asking after giving the task – let them do it
• On completion: Always praise in public and always criticize/correct in private
Training Workshops Designed to suit your Organization needs - please contact us.